Nerd speed dating austin
* (In about 1917 the Oregon Lumber Company built a new double-sided sawmill about a mile down the Middle Fork of the John Day River from Austin.A company owned town was built for the mill workers and was named Batesville. This mill remained in full operation until October 1975, when a new mill was put into operation in John Day by Edward Hines Lumber Company, the owners at that time.Today Bates along with its saw mill, its railroad and all of the people who once lived there now only exist as memories and faces in old photos of the former residents.The technique of logging in the beginning at Austin and Bates was simple. In those days of the early 1900s most types of work did involve hard, physical labor.In the late 1800s Minot and Linda Austin arrived and purchased the town site, and renamed it Austin.
There was a mill called the Eccles Mill near Austin.
The means were served family style in ample proportions.
Austin was quite a town in its day, with several saloons, stores and even a jail.
Oregon Lumber Company built logging tracks down the Middle Fork and had branches up the draws and creeks to supply logs to the new mill.
The lumber was then shipped on the Sumpter Valley Railroad to Baker. At this time off-highway logging trucks began hauling logs in to the mill.