Williamsport free chat
In May 1835, the first public schools opened in Williamsport and also the town's first bank, the West Branch National Bank.The Underground Railroad, used by enslaved African-Americans to obtain their freedom in the 30 years before the Civil War (1860-1865) included routes from states in the South, which supported slavery, to “free” states in the North and Canada.Winters are cold and comparatively dry but typically bring a mix of rain, sleet, and snow with occasional heavy snowfall and icing.January is the coldest month with an average mean temperature of 26.8 °F (−2.9 °C), Summers are typically very warm and humid with temperatures exceeding 90 °F (32 °C) on 15 days per year on average; the annual count has been as high as 42 days in 1988, while only 19 did not reach that mark.Carl Stotz conceived the idea of a Little League, and he and Bert and George Bebble managed the first three teams. Williamsport native Joe Lockard, stationed on Oahu, gave warning of the impending attack based on radar readings.
Based on the oral history of Mamie Sweeting Diggs (1933-2011), fourth generation descent and great-granddaughter, Hughes, was a river raftsman on the Susquehanna river who had migrated from Oswego, New York.
Marion tended the family homestead, maintained Freedom Road Cemetery (where nine black Civil War vets are buried) and passed Daniel's stories down to her children. The following year the Williamsport Hospital opened its first facility April 1 at Elmira and Edwin Streets.
In 1875, the first tower clock in the United States to sound the Cambridge Quarters (Westminster Chime) was installed at Trinity Episcopal Church, a gift of Peter Herdic with bells given by the Honorable Judge J. For this reason, the area's local high school, the Williamsport Area High School, uses "Millionaires" as its team nickname.
and is bordered by the West Branch Susquehanna River to the south (with Armstrong Township, South Williamsport, Duboistown and Susquehanna Township south of the river), Loyalsock Township to the east and north, Old Lycoming Township to the north and Woodward Township to the west.
As the crow flies, Lycoming County is about 130 miles (209 km) northwest of Philadelphia and 165 miles (266 km) east-northeast of Pittsburgh.